Jekyll Island – Georgia – Part # 1 of 2
In 1733, General James Oglethorpe named Jekyll Island in honor of Sir Joseph Jekyll, his friend and financier from England. In the late 1800s, Jekyll Island became an exclusive hunting club for families with names like Rockefeller, Morgan, Vanderbilt, Pulitzer, and Baker. The once private retreat is now part of The Jekyll Island Club National Historic Landmark District, one of the largest preservation projects in the southeast.
In 1947, the Governor and the Georgia state legislature established Jekyll Island as a State Park. Today, the island is a special sanctuary for each of us – and the Jekyll Island Authority is proud to share our island’s history.
© HJ Ruiz